This is the bridge that part of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia used to begin their retreat to Virginia after the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863.
In 1938, the Pennsylvania Highway Department determined the Sachs bridge to be the most historic covered bridge in the state. It was closed to traffic
in 1968 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. On June 19, 1996, floodwaters swept the bridge from its abutments and carried it
approximatey 100 yards downstream. Adams County rehabilitated the bridge, supported its trusses with steel beams, and raised the elevation 3 feet.
The bridge is a favorite spot of photographers and ghost hunters.
Directions: Heading south out of town through the Gettysburg National Military Park on the Emmitsburg Road, take a Right onto Millerstown Road
which becomes Pumping Station Road. Go a short distance and turn Left onto Roberta Way, then turn Right onto Waterworks Road.
July 12, 2007
Photo Copyright © R.G. Blakeslee 2007